Wednesday, January 15, 2014

The Little Things

On days where I have no inspiration to write, I really think about the little things in my life. A few months back my father was diagnosed with liver cancer. When you think for your entire life your father is this indestructible man that is immune to things, like dying, life reminds you just how naive you are. It just makes a simple writing problem seem almost silly.

My father is a high school math teacher and has a deep lusting relationship with making money as his second job. He'll sell his shoes he is wearing if you offered him a good price. Before his diagnosis, I had no aspirations of joining his capitalistic goals of selling my own shoes, but then it hit me like a punch to the grill: this is the way to spend more time with him.

We have many things in common: love for our sports teams, playing sports, and now a passion to sell things, just to name a few.

Today happens to be my parents 31st anniversary. I've been extremely lucky with having two awesome people that I can call Mom and Dad. The crazy thing is they have no idea I love to write. If I told pops that I have my own blog now, he would probably say, "What the hell is a blog?"

Today will be a great day to bust out the three-buck-chuck of wine from Trader Joe's and bust out my pad out of paper. Thinking about the little things always clears my head. To you Dad!

A.C.W.

1 comment:

  1. I'm sorry about your dad. Writing does make you feel better, even when it feels like your life is falling apart. I wish you and your family well.

    ReplyDelete